My colleagues have come up with a nickname for Lilly, Lillypedia. The girl's mind is a steel trap and always thinking about things and retaining every ridiculous fact she learns. Of course, when we ask her about her day at daycare we get, "I don't remember." Or random musings like, "Dave (the cook) sneezes really loudly." I am in the midst of grading research papers so haven't been blogging, but here are some Lilly thoughts over the last few months to keep you coming to the blog:
First some rather old ones:
At bed time - "I’m tired on the inside Dad and it is going to come to the outside"
Not only has she become familiar with bird types, she has also learned the word, oviparous (egg laying). One night as I was checking for ticks she asked, "Are ticks oviparous?"
Her drawing of a drake and hen (male and female mallard). They are on a computer screen.
She can also identify male and female ticks - I had one crawling up my leg on the way to swimming lessons and she asked, "did it have a pattern on it like a necklace, or stripes on it like overalls?" I told her it had a pattern like a necklace, to which she informed me, "it was a girl tick."
At bed time - "I’m tired on the inside Dad and it is going to come to the outside"
Me: What do you like about Learn to Skate?
Lilly: That I get to learn how to skate.
Lilly: Mom, when Greta is older can we have bunk beds?
Me: Maybe. Whose room would you sleep in?
Lilly: Whose room is bigger?
Me: Greta’s room is a little bit bigger.
Lilly: Her room - does she have a smoke detector?
About Kindergarten Round Up - “I’ll get a name tag, Dad. A NAME TAG!”
Some Ramona Quimby based ones:
Upon seeing a new tube of toothpaste - “Is this the value economy size?”
Walking down the trail at Copper Falls State Park:
Lilly: Mom, what does S.I. 9 mean?
Me: S.I. 9?
Lilly: Yeah, S.I. 9.
Me: (Confused to all get out and I then remembered we were listening to Ramona on the way there) Are you thinking of what happened in Ramona?
Lilly: Yes.
Me: Oh, you mean asinine.
Lilly: Yeah. What does asinine mean?
Lilly's daycare has been doing a fairly intensive bird study unit. Lilly the sponge has soaked it all up. She can identify many local birds and knows their calls. Her excitement and enthusiasm about birds is pretty contagious and we've started to get more into bird identification ourselves. Here are some drawings of birds she made:
Her drawing of a drake and hen (male and female mallard). They are on a computer screen.
She can also identify male and female ticks - I had one crawling up my leg on the way to swimming lessons and she asked, "did it have a pattern on it like a necklace, or stripes on it like overalls?" I told her it had a pattern like a necklace, to which she informed me, "it was a girl tick."



Caleb often draws pictures on a folded piece of paper as if they were on a computer screen, whatever he's interesting on the top "screen" and then all the squares on the bottom half for the keys, too. Oh this generation of kiddos in this technology world!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, we have FINALLY gotten into the Ramona books and both kids are LOVING the audio ones (and Ayla is loving reading them, too). They ask to go the long way home just so we can listen a little bit more.
What a hilarious post! The patience and precision of her drawings reveal a lot about her sharp mind. Keep those blogs coming!
ReplyDelete